Oct 18, 2011

Playroom Mood Board

Early last week, I posted a mood board for a boy and girl's shared bedroom.   My cousin is combining her two toddlers in the same room for a short time and wants a stylish look that's catered to kids, so I put together a sleeping area for her space. Today, I'm expanding the design and adding a play area.

Mood Board for Kids' Playroom:

Playroom

The design is small enough that it could be added to a large bedroom or it could easily be expanded as a kid's playroom.  The colors (orange, white & teal) coordinate with the shared bedroom plan that I originally put together.

Here are the details for the playroom:

1.  Paint Colors:  The paint colors are the same as what I chose for the bedroom.... Moonlight White for the wall color and Simply White for the trim, both by Benjamin Moore.  The paint colors are both a creamy white and with light colored walls, it'll really open up the space and give a clean feel (I know how fast a kid's room can turn messy!).  It will also help to emphasize the furniture, fabric and pattern colors!  To add a bit softness and dreaminess to the room, I chose a very light teal color for the ceiling, Adanna Aire by Mythic Paints.

2.  Large Map:  I love the thought of a large vintage, pull-down map hanging above a low storage unit.  It's serves an educational purpose, but is still so stylish (and colorful!).

3.  Storage:  The locker storage unit from Ikea is great for a small area and the locker style is perfect for a kids room.  Plenty of toys could be stashed behind the doors and a large basket or a few smaller sized ones could be slid under the unit for additional toy storage.  There's also room on top of the unit for more storage..... just add an industrial style basket for blocks or books.  Then add a  lamp for lighting and color (this is Jonathan Adler's orange lamp, which I LOVE, but my wallet doesn't love the price.  So, I'd be searching for a second-hand lamp to restore with a few coats of spray paint).

4.  Small Maps:  The small maps are take from Anthropologie's vintage map wall calendar and placed inside NYTTJA frames from Ikea.  I love the look of the maps grouped together as one... I'd hang these above the kid's activity table.

5.  Activity Area:  Every kid loves a chalkboard.... and how perfect to have a chalkboard table!  It's not such a huge commitment as painting an entire wall, but on a table?  So easy!  This table is from Mark Tuckey and is absolutely beautiful!  The style would be very easy to replicate.... second-hand stores always have round tables available.  I'd chop off a few inches from the legs to make it low enough for kids, then paint the table top with chalkboard paint.  The small Agen chairs are from Ikea and the pillows, like the ones on the original mood board, are added for comfort.  The vintage orange stool is added for color.

6.  Rug:  The brown and ivory chevron rug from Rugs USA will feel be comfy on little feet while they're playing, sitting or standing.

So, there's an idea for a play area to add to the shared space.... now there's a sleeping area and a play area....

Shared Bedroom Mood Board


Playroom

Sometime next week I'll have a free printable that goes along with the plan!

6 comments:

  1. What a fun space that'll be. Love the maps as art. And that orange dresser--how cool is that? I've been thinking about painting a dresser we have orange...this might just be the deciding factor! Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, looking at that beautiful orange dresser makes me want to paint a piece of furniture a really, really bold color too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a great blog here! would you like to make some invite posts on my blog? Top Online Betting Soccer Betting Strategy Soccer Betting Tips

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are some interesting points in time in this article but I don’t know if I see all of them center to heart. There is some validity but I will take hold opinion until I look into it further. Good article, thanks and we want more! Added to FeedBurner as well

    Click Here
    Muabs.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’d have to check with you here. Which is not something I usually do! I enjoy reading a post that will make people think. Also, thanks for allowing me to comment!

    Experiment.com
    Information
    Click Here

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...